Got a passion for Brisbane’s history during World War Two? Feel comfortable talking about military history and encouraging others to discuss it? Join the MacArthur Museum Brisbane (MMB) as a volunteer guide and tour visitors through our exhibitions.
Can you spare at least two days a month to act as a guide? If so, please contact the Museum on Tuesday or Thursday by phone (32117052) between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm or email your interest to email@example.com.
Volunteers learn more about the MMB. When you volunteer you become part of a large friendly team, and provide valuable support to staff and our visitors.
A Volunteer guide must be able to:
- Communicate with our visitors (including showing empathy).
- Have an interest in sharing history.
- Collect entry fees and record the information on the daily sheet.
- Record and receipt the sales of merchandise.
- Spend at least one 40 minute session a day welcoming visitors at the secured entrance foyer on the ground level.
- Be dressed appropriately.
- Abide by the Guidelines for Volunteers document and all OH&S requirements
We will show you how to do these things and be sure there's someone around to help while you learn the routines.
Volunteer Guides of the MacArthur Museum Brisbane are able to borrow some of our non- reference library books.
Other volunteering activities
Some of our volunteers also help with school groups. They require a Blue Card.
You may be interested in joining our Collections group who look after the cataloguing and recording of all our items collected.
Others use their skills behind the scenes, in grant writing, interpretation and conservation of exhibits and maintaining our database of artefacts and documents. We are also occasionally asked to provide speakers to community groups.
We’re looking for committed people who can do independent research and contribute to a friendly team.
If you volunteer, you will make new friends with like minded people who share some of your interests. You will learn new aspects of the subject. You'll be the first to hear about new projects and have an opportunity to participate in them.